Wednesday, September 26, 2007

a word on method

Somethings are obvious; others are not. Obvious - my intention to write about the facts of music is loose; not obvious - my commitment to the experience of music doesn't ignore the facts.

That is to say, the point is not to not tell The Music Story, but to tell my music story; and those two can overlap - the storyline and my music storyline. And why? If only because the experience of music art anything is not universal; why hide that by trying to convey meaning through facts. No band or piece of music value can be defined by the facts of its creation or the notes that are played. Or properly said not even by the music itself as a fact. Only the experience of the music, and those facts, can lead to meaning in the space between me and them, it and us. So by trying to draw out the framework of what is important in my experience in the music hopefully shines some light on why I like the music, the logic/non-logic that gives any thing value and meaning. MORE IMPORTANTLY I'm not trying to convince you of why something is great, I'm trying to show the where's and with-alls of IT when IT shows ITself - which takes WORK WORK WORK & SWEAT SWEAT SWEAT. I'm not trying to build the canon or share the perceived wealth of musico knowledge, but trying to tap a toe into meaning (for ME).

Oh oh oh, so it is that I avoid editing and facts and dates and rigor (and mp3's and such). What value does rigor have in this little blog pond?

TWO NOTES:

THE DIAMONDBACKS still get no love. I can't wait till they make it to the NLCS w/o the requisite superstar to profile and weigh as the ONE and TBS and FOX and everyone else remains confused about what to do with this team. Up one game and everyone still says the Cubbies are gonna win it. Does no one remember when Doug Davis used to be good? No not on the Brewers, but more recently when he threw 9 Quality Starts in a row this spring and has as just one less quality start then Ted Lilly this year. Now you can quibble over Micah Owings v. Livan Hernandez but today's game has to be a toss-up on the starters. And the Cubs bullpen? Marmol had a great year, but as someone who had him on his fantasy baseball team, I know full well that he hasn't gotten better as the year moved on, but worse. A young guy who probably has never pitched this much in a year = 2 runs in the 7th. I'll take the Dbacks last three plus Juan Cruz over whoever the Cubs wanna throw. And the offense last night demonstrated how they can make enough runs to win. It is not a MYSTERY how the Dbacks won 90 games this year, this is a young Talented team that is only going to get better.

Currently the Rockies are killing the Phils in Game 2. NLCS Rockies v Diamondbacks anyone?

I AM CONTEMPLATING the big dig; the big purge. Cut out the fat and leave the meat of my record collection. The only hope would be to document it, if I do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Noble said...

rox in 5.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home