Tuesday, May 27, 2008

loathe to get off of 69, onward to 489

It's an ol' chestnut, but seemingly, in my case, kinda true, that the older I get the more similar to my dad I become. No, that doesn't mean I've started playing golf or voting republican, but it does mean that I've come to appreciate two things that used to cause me to cringe: Meatloaf and Bob Seger.

Really, I can thank Dan J for the Meatloaf love more than my dad, and in particular the drive up through Marin to Pete & Nancy's wedding when we jammed BOoH II. How often does it take one moment, one listening session to open the doors of perception to hear and appreciate a band? Once that threshold is crossed the rest, what previously seemed impenetrable or just not interesting, folds out like a clear map of what is good & bad. And having said that, I don't know what about the Loaf that was the trigger. How does one come to like music? Any external description of the facts or of the elements of the music or the history in which it falls is insufficient. None of that can create the feeling of or the realization that YES, I LIKE THIS. They can lead the way, writing can create the context in which one hears the music, and give the vocabulary to talk about it, but it can't BE the music. Or better said, they can't BE YOUR EXPERIENCE OF THE MUSIC. (I think this distinction is important - experience of v. the thing itself.) Everything else is external to that.

All that said, I should be clear that I am not saying that what is not the music (ie the sound & silence in time) is not part & parcel (or in fact *part* of the music, in the sense that, the not sound *is* just as much of it as the actual sound is). Why is context so important to appreciation? Why was it the fiftieth time and not the fifth time that I heard Meatloaf that my ears/mind was opened? What changed between/during that at one point I would have said 'meh' and the point when I would say 'rock'?

But as per the usual I've digressed. Meatloaf's BOoH is great. BOoH II has some super jams. and more to the point the Bob Seger System's '2+2=?' is the sweetest new-to-me heavy psych jam I've heard in a while. You don't believe me? Check it out...



So no, I'm not into the Silver Bullet Band Seger like my dad. No 'Ol' Time Rock and Roll' or 'Like a Rock' for me just yet. 2+2=? is late 60's Detroit Seger w/ the Bob Seger System. Much loved by Lester Bangs in his Creem years, it's said that the Seger System could really bring it. On top of that 2+2=? is an anti-war song ala 'Fortunate Son' (I think the CCR/Fogerty & BSS/Seger similarities are telling).

And one more heavy psych rock youtube tidbit...



next up GOLF!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home