Thursday, October 27, 2011

ten Can tracks, in no particular order

Father Cannot Yell


From their first album "Monster Movie." In general I find this period of Can kind of bring and listening to Malcolm Mooney's quasi-"deep" gibberish is annoying and I find distracting. Especially on the album closer epic Yoo Doo Right. It also probably reveals Can's biggest weakness, repeated on later albums, (and probably symptomatic of the times and place they existed) that when they try and get "out" and "avant-garde" it comes off awkward and silly. I'm thinking of Aumgn on Peking O on "Tago Mago." I know on of'em "studied with Stockhausen" but if your strength is groving, grove.

All that said, I think this track rocks and is the most successful on "Monster Movie."

Mother Sky


Early Damo grooving.

She Brings the Rain


Not to say I hate all Malcolm Mooney's vocals. I can see people disliking this for begin a jazzy, beat nonsense jam from un-groovy Germans. That's probably fair criticism, but I've always found track to be pleasantly transcendent of its awkwardness.

Both of these tracks are from the "Soundtracks" and one of the movies that they're soundtracking is this one: http://youtu.be/9lqnJwowNg0 Deadlock. "Wo ist das Geld?" indeed! I really want to find this movie now. It looks like a great mash-up of quasi-philosophical exploitation spaghetti western-ish gangster movie tropes (in the vain of The Shooting). Ahhhhhh, the 60's! (i could see this leading my back down that rabbit hole of exploitation film nirvana).

Oh Yeah


Halleluwah


Both of these are from "Tago Mago" which highlights both the best of Can (the first 4 tracks) and the worst of Can (the last 3) which nicely divides between the two discs of this double LP. Oh Yeah is probably the easiest to get into and the grooviest. I actually prefer Halleluwah. And somehow I find the 18 minute version *less boring* than the remixed 5 minute version on "Cannibalism". You'd think this be'd the inverse, addition by subtraction, but the trance like long version works better for me. Neither of these benefit from too-focused listening, one probably needs to let it wash over and not focus to much for them to work. (Kind of weird to recommend that something is better when *not listening* to it, but fuck it, I'm sticking with it.)

Also new to me (the joy and pleasure of discovery, oh so sweet.):

Turtles Have Short Legs


a "pop" track from the same period as "Tago Mago." Similar if not same groove as Halleluwah! Fantastisch!


Spoon


Vitamin C


The blather of Tago Mago is refined down to a fine edge on Ege Bamyasi. This was my first Can album and has a special place in my heart. I think these two tracks sort of highlight why mid 00's folks jumped all over Can. Eminently dj-able, dance-able, and decidedly weird and exotic.

Also a fantastic live version of Spoon.


what a jump suit. what a bass playing style. Only Karoli looks like an annoying rock-n-roller cool guy. Everyone else are obviously FREAKS.

Spray


From Future Days. I like this album, but it's kind of a mix of the She Brings the Rain jazziness with the groove of Tago Mago & Ege Bamyasi. I could see the "boring" tag fit fine on this one. WEEEEEEEELLLL THHEEEEEENNNN I'll just move along.

Stuff after that, well. I like Soon Over Babaluma, but it definitely drifts towards the more proggy boring side of things. For folks who already drank the Kool-Aid. I've never heard Saw Delight or Flow Motion (so can't speak on them) but there are a couple more non-boring tracks to feature:

I Want More


Can does disco pop and scores! I love this song. Maybe another one to wait until you've drank the Kool-Aid but I just love that this was their most commercially successful single and album (flow motion).

Cool youtube clips:
I'm Too Liese


Paperhouse (from Tago Mago) on live German TV:


Um, that's what I got. ENJOY.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan Gr said...

It's like this is tailor made for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bip3hXS5zJE

8:36 AM  
Blogger furtanic said...

for a second i thought there was a third parappa game. unfortunately i think this vid is from the first game. bummer.

10:04 AM  
Blogger furtanic said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home