Wednesday, August 30, 2006

a goal set, a goal not reached

Unfortunately I have established a trend of making many many "goals" and then failing to acheive most of them. This can be from "I won't buy any records for the next couple weeks" to "I'll finish this piece of work today" to "I'll ask that girl out on a date next time I see her." Invariably I don't really have any excuse for not accomplishing said goals due to being sidetracked by you-know "checking the internet" and "wasting time." ho-hum, so it goes. In some hard-boiled novel I've read there is a discussion about not keeping promises to oneself and goes to say that it is much much worse to not keep a promise to yourself than to not keep a promise to someone else. If you see someone who as said "i'm quitting smoking" and than fails in their attempt they are a broken man (in some way) and have little hope of ever really accomplishing anything because they'll never be able to keep a promise to themself ever again. Hard-boiled novels really don't mince words when it comes to moralistic black&white, so the protagonists can fail miserably or lose a lot to keep some arcane code, so this story can be taken with a grain of salt, but there's still a nugget of something there. So do my various failed personal commitments make me a failed person, no, not quite, but i would like to get more done.

One small goal I do hope to keep is to work on my writing. This blog being a manifestation or realization of that desire. If every couple of days I can write a couple paragraphs about some odd subject here or there it'll equal practice writing. and hopefully my writing will improve. And from there the sky's the limit.

This will also be my last post addressing my failings. it's not meta, it's crap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home